Friday, June 11, 2010

Caulifower.

I used to hate cauliflower. I didn't like the smell or the taste. It was mainly the smell that did it for me. As a child I don't think I actually ever ate it. I was a picky eater. I could skip meals with the best of them. I remember everyone else eating ham for dinner and I would make a sandwich after dinner. I found that I didn't like cauliflower raw. I found that I really enjoy eating it steamed. It is so easy nowadays to get steamed cauliflower (or other veg) during the winter by buying the steambags. YUM!

There are so many good things about cauliflower! It prevents cancer! But of course your veg helps greatly in the fight to stay healthy!! It is when you over cook the vegetable is where problems arise. First off over cooking a vegetable makes the taste not so great AND you can cook the nutrients out of it! That is why steaming is so popular and recommended so often. It takes the least amount of nutrient out of your veg!

Cauliflower has phytonutrients. These little fellows help the body promote liver detoxification! And lets just say we are really hard our livers (those babies are constantly working to detox our bodies with all the meds and junk we eat!). Plus phytonutrients also help as antioxidants to fight free radicals. A little research goes a very long way but be careful! Some of that information is not always the whole truth!! When looking online you must check the website and where it gets the information! I look on www.whfoods.com. This site is called World's Healthiest Foods and they post on Google every week-healthiest food of the week! This week is cauliflower!!

Tonight I am making cauliflower grautin and the recipe is from Food Network Magazine. The recipe is probably on the website too but I discovered it in my magazine a few months ago. Now I don't know how healthy it really is because the recipe calls for heavy cream and Gryere cheese. It is the cheese that is used to make fondue. It is a very simple recipe and I think as long as you watch your portions you will be fine. I am trying it this time as warm, not warmed up! Try something new! What if you like? Just because you don't like something prepared one way does not mean you won't like it another!

Ciao
USMCdaffy

No comments:

Post a Comment