Monday, June 7, 2010

TurboJam! Power90! I love Beachbody.com

I love exercise. I love it more now because for a long while I was unable to do it. I love my yoga but there is something about that heart slamming lung screaming cardio that makes me happy. Endorphins. I am sure that is the reason but I feel so accomplished when I finish. I say that it burns the hate out. And sometimes as a dispatcher I have a LOT of hate to relieve! When I used to go the gym I would use the cardio machines with my ipod. I could feel all the tension and stress slip away. I turned to yoga because it was easy on my injured knee and I could modify the moves as I needed.

When I got hurt I could not do my cardio and it actually caused my injury. Well at least that is what the doctors guessed. I tore my meniscus. There are two of them. Unfortunately I tore the one on the inside of the knee. It is also the one that gets the least amount of blood flow which is important in HEALING. It also didn't help that it took months to diagnose. Two doctors and one cortizone shot later I was still hurt. And I was eating pains meds like candy. I won't take anything stronger then motrin or tylenol so I take a lot of them at a time. Which is not exactly great for your liver! I used my knee brace for every time I did my yoga. Its supposed to heal on its own. It wasn't... I started researching. I started icing. Icing is what helped me the most. It started feeling better. I went back to bits of different exercises. I was really scared. But I needed to try. You can really hurt yourself... WAIT! I did!! And I was very aware of my form and the doctor said injuries can just happen quietly like that. *UGH*!

I put on my brace and I put in my Power90 VHS (yes! VHS!!) tape. (Oh Tony Horton how I missed you!!) And I started. It did the sculpt tape (38 minutes) instead of the cardio tape because I was testing the waters. I DID IT!! I made it through with no pain!!! I got done and I immediately put some ice on my knees for about 10 minutes. So I sat sipping my water and icing my knees. Waiting. Hoping. I got up. I walked around. YIPPEE!! OK. This is where I can go terribly wrong. I did the one thing I normally don't do. I took it slow. Instead of getting over motivated I did yoga the next day. It's so easy for me to go full throttle. The next time I did a workout on the exercise ball (25 minutes). The time after that I used the ball workout but during intervals I got on my ellipitical machine for five minutes each time for a total of 15 minutes. Still icing my knees and sipping my water!!

Today. Today I did TurboJam. TurboJam is full on cardio. It was the 20 minute workout and I was terribly rusty but I DID IT! HA! No pain. No pulling. AND without my knee brace. I still iced my knees and sipped my water.

Before I go today I wanted to say that I get a lot of my work out DVDs (or VHS before the popularity of DVD) from www.beachbody.com. I have been going there since before they were selling DVDs AND only had the Power90 programon VHS tapes. Its a great site and now they have lots and lots of different DVD exercise programs. And it is home of the P90X. It's hard to pick a favorite but I love Shawn T. and his Hip Hop Abs (dancing! fun!!) And I adore Yoga Booty Ballet with Teigh & Gillian which is how I got so intersted in yoga in the first place! And of course Chalene Johnson & TurboJam. Go there and check it out. There is something for everyone. If you have Facebook everyone is on there too!

Ok! Time of finish my water and snack.
Ciao
USMCdaffy

No comments:

Post a Comment